Jesslinn. She’s my best friend, and she has been since I met her when I was a little wide-eyed 19 year-old and she was a wise 22 year-old. The night we met, I kicked her butt in poker. That’s right. First time ever playing, and I was bluffing like a pro. Ok, not quite. In reality, I had a healthy dose of beginner’s luck and smart mouth, and the rest is history. We’ve been friends ever since.
Jess is the person I call when I need a shoulder to cry on, or someone to make me laugh so hard I pee a little. Last night, I needed someone to talk to, and Jess was there. We may live 700-some miles apart, but we will always be there for each other.
Like I said, Jess is wise. She’s like the older sister I never had, and she always has good advice. Last night we were talking about self-esteem issues. Jess mentioned that she had read in a People magazine that even Jennifer Love Hewitt has self-esteem issues. Um, seriously?? Yeah, even J-Love has those days, and her remedy is to look herself in the mirror every morning and say outloud 5 things she likes about herself. Sounds cheesy, but I’m starting to think there might be something behind this whole “think positive” movement. Jess suggested I try it. Look myself in the face and love myself. Starting tomorrow, that’s what I’m doing. Focusing on my shortcomings is exhausting, and probably truly unhealthy. Negativity just isn’t going to fly with me anymore. It will be hard, and some days really hard, to find something to love about myself. But I think it will be worth the effort.
And, since I missed my morning pep-talk to myself today, I thought I would dedicate this post to Jess “I-find-wisdom-in-People-magazines” Steen. Jesslinn, this is for you. Thank you for being you. And thank you for not hating me for posting these pictures for the world (or the handful of people who look at this blog) to see.
Sidenote: Ddon’t hate on the photo quality of the following photos. I am probably being counter-productive posting grainy point-and-shoot photos from years ago on a photography blog, but hey…didn’t we all get started on point-and-shoots?? 😛 Embrace the grain!
Things I like about Jesslinn:
1. You were my first model for a photo shoot. It may have been with a baby camera, in the Closet-Masquerading-As-a-Dorm-Room, but you didn’t hesitate to wow me with your awesome poses. 😉 We are SO cool. (RIP Heath Ledger. You hung over my bed from 2001-2006, being all Knight’s Tale-y and wonderful.)
2. You are beautiful, and again willing to pose for my camera. 🙂
3. You are a fellow dreamer. And you rock the pigtail buns like no other.
4. You have a really sweet tattoo. And you are braver than me.
5. You will wash your feet in a bidet after a long walk through Rome.
6. You will battle evil German washing machines for me.
7. You nap in train station lockers.
8. When you see a giant keg of wine in a castle, this is how you pose in front of it.
9. You are secretly a water-bottle-wielding gladiator. Oops…guess it’s not-so-secret now!
Ok, those were fun (and true), but in all seriousness…
Jess, here are five things I like about you, in no particular order:
1. You are beautiful inside and out.
2. You are quite possibly the funniest person I know, and I would pay good money to be able to quote movies like you can.
3. You are a loving mother, and I aspire to be as loving and nuturing to my kids someday as you are with Liam.
4. You can have an intellectual conversation about pretty much anything.
5. You have a kindness in your heart that amazes me every time I talk to you.
Love you like it’s goin’ out of style. 😉